Mobay United back on top as teams tighten grip on top four positions

Printer-friendly versionSend by emailPDF version

Photo: Marcelino Blackburn of Arnett Gardens was a constant threat against Humble Lion yesterday. Arnett Gardens won the game 3-0.


Three of the top four teams in the Red Stripe Premier League scored important wins yesterday to solidify their positions at the top of the table. With previous leaders Waterhouse FC not playing until tonight, Montego Bay United took full advantage to go back to the top of the league when they scored a narrow 1-0 win over Sporting Central at Westpow Park. The lone strike came courtesy of Omar Gordon in the 78th minute as Mobay lifted their tally to 48 points, two above Waterhouse with whom they continue to play ‘musical chairs’.


While Mobay were moving back to the top, defending champions Harbour View moved into second place when they whipped former champions Portmore United 3-0 at the ‘Compound’. Ranique Muir whose strike helped them secure a point at Arnett Gardens in midweek, was back on the score sheet again when he bagged a brace either side of a Brain Brown goal.


Muir opened the scoring in the 22nd minute as the champions led 1-0 at the break. Brown, who has found his scoring touch again at the right time of the season, doubled his team’s lead in the 58th minute before Muir made the game safe three minutes later. Harbour View are now on 47 points, just one behind Mobay United as the race at the top intensifies.


Arnett Gardens were probably the biggest winners on the day, as their taming of Humble Lion 3-0 at the Anthony Spaulding Sports Complex, along with other results going their way, made fourth spot all but secure for the ‘Junglists’.


The ultra-attacking Arnett Gardens never gave the visitors a chance to settle in the game and after a dominant opening, were finally ahead in the 28th minute when Renae Lloyd confidently stroked home a penalty. It was no more than the home team deserved based on their first half display as they held the lead to the break.


The Jerome Waite coached team picked up where they left off in the second half as their midfield trio of Odain Simpson, Renae Lloyd and Jason Moore outran the visitors. Kirk Ramsey scored his second goal since returning from a long injury layoff when he arrived at the near post ahead of the Lion custodian and a defender to squeeze the ball home in the 55th minute. It was a typical Ramsey goal as the home team threatened to run riot over their opponents.


With the game secure, Waite took the time to introduce Kevin ‘Pele’ Wilson and Kemal Malcolm for Ramsey and Leon Strickland. The ‘fresh’ players continued the torment of Humble Lion and Malcolm scored the goal of the game when he turned his marker one way then the next before confidently stroking the ball into the far corner on minute 85.


Speaking after the game a very pleased Jerome Waite said, “It was a good result for us. It could have been more but we are happy with the result. The team is fully composed now and we played a really good game today. We have five more games to play and there are still a few players out injured. We are hoping to have them back soon.”


Arnett now have 42 points, six more than 5th place Tivoli Gardens who drew 0-0 with Boys Town at the Anthony Spaulding Sports Complex.


Meanwhile Cavalier SC playing at home, got the better of the bottom placed August Town who are virtually relegated when Claudius Blackburn secured all three points a minute from the half time break. Cavalier now have 36 points and have secured premiership football for yet another season and may still be harbouring thoughts of sneaking into the playoffs.