Tuffy's brace enough to see off Rivoli

Printer-friendly versionSend by emailPDF version
Red Stripe Premier League,Waterhouse,Rivoli United,

Jermaine "Tuffy" Anderson was in spanking form on Sunday at the Drewsland Mini Stadium when Waterhouse hosted the red hot Rivoli United. The game saw the the Spanish Town based team Rivoli creating the better chances early on.

In minute number 11, Kemar Beckford weaved his way past Rohan Amos and found himself with the goal keeper at his mercy but his ferocious kick went wide. Quick movements and some sloppy defending saw Kelso Cousins from Waterhouse making back to back saves. Cory Burke, Rivoli's talisman and player of the round for December, was relatively quiet doing most of the passing to his strike partner Kemar Beckford.

Waterhouse however knew that if they are to get back their hands on the coveted Red Stripe Premier League trophy they have to beat Rovoli. The spectators were in no mood for any mediocre ball game, and kept shouting to the players to keep possession of the football. With that in the back of the players mind a nice through ball was played through for Stewart whose shot was comfortably saved by Campbell.

In the 28th minute of play Oshane Roberts who has been having success in his make shift position as a right back picked out Anderson with a telling cross. Anderson's header from ten yards out beat a full stretched Campbell all ends up and curled in the back of the net. The first half ended with Rivoli trailing the home team 1-0.

Rivoli started the second half just as how they started the first, pressing for that equalizing goal. In the 50th minute Kemar Beckford's shot again was saved this time miraculously from ten yard by Cousins, before the goalkeeper was again brought into action this time by Ross Burton.

Captain Damarley Samuels gave the "firehouse" supporters something extra to cheer for as he made it 2- 0 in minute 55.

Rivoli pressing higher up the field, left a little space for the speedy and skillful Juvaune Benjamin to get by his marker before whipping a cross in to find Anderson who unleashed a thunder bolt left foot shot to beat Campbell for the third time and Anderson's second of the game.

With little over 20 minutes to go in the second half and trailing by 3 goals, Rivoli was still of the belief that they are still in the game. Their brave effort was rewarded in the 70th minute when Burke's shot was too hot for Cousins to handle and he coughed it up in the path of Davion Garrison for a easy finish.

Coach Anthony Patrick introduced the diminutive magician Romario "Rom Rom" Campbell and he immediately got involved. Stringing passes left right and center with Bejamin, Stewart, Taylor and Gray. Some quick exchange of passes pulled the Rivoli defence to threads allowing Campbell to finish off a neat give and go with Stewart to make it 4-1.

Shortly afterwards referee Courtney Campbell brought the game to a close as Waterhouse registered back to back wins.