Murray brace earns Waterhouse FC first points of the season

Printer-friendly versionSend by emailPDF version
Waterhouse FC,Harbour View FC,Red Stripe Premier League,Rodave Murray,Jermaine Anderson,Marvin Tate,Ranique Muir,

Photo: "Two goal kid" - Waterhouse striker Rodave Murray hit a second half brace as Waterhouse FC tagged Harbour View FC 2-0 at the Harbour View Mini-Stadium on Sunday night.

On a night when Harbour View feted their KSAFA U-13 and U-15 Champions which marked the occasion of them being the winningest club in the Caribbean, former Dinthill Technical talisman Rodave Murray spoiled the party. He scored expertly from 20 yards and completed his second half brace with a superb header, as Waterhouse FC eased to a comfortable 2-0 win over the "Stars of the East" in the Red Stripe Premier League, at The Harbour View Mini Stadium on Sunday night.

The impending passage of hurricane Matthew placed a temporary halt to the Red Stripe Premier League last weekend, which worked out in favour of Waterhouse coach Marvin Tate. The coach took the time to put in some meaningful practice sessions.with the return of some key senior players such as Carlos Wright, Weston 'Barney' Forrest, Irvino 'Dadda' English and Jermaine 'Tuffy' Anderson and this paid dividends.

Both teams went into the game needing a win, Waterhouse rooted at the bottom of the pile on 0 points from 4 games, while Harbour View were in 10th position on 3 points from 4 games.

Waterhouse FC played a 5-3-2 formation as opposed to Harbour View's 4-4-2 and this kind of defensive line up offered very little excitement in the opening ten minutes.

However, In minute 11, veteran striker Anderson with his first touch of the 2016/17 season earned a free kick for Waterhouse after he was bundled over on top of the box. Anderson was almost at the end of the resulting free kick from the educated left foot of Romario 'Rum Rum' Campbell.

Neither team was able to settle the ball down and put a series of passes together, as they both played a cat and mouse kind a football. Anderson however, brought the crowd to its feet in the 20th minute when he unleashed a thunderbolt from 40 yards which chiseled off some of the paint from the upright, with only his second touch of the game. Even the home supporters lauded his effort saying - "if that had gone in, it would arguably be goal of the decade."

Many time champions Harbour View finally got a foothold in the contest and should have had their noses in front in the 22nd minute when Mark Miller found an unmarked Richardo Harriot at the back post, but his tame shot on his way down went harmlessly wide.

In the 35th minute disaster struck when Anderson came out on the injured side of a clash of heads with Harriot. He was later substituted with a suspected fractured nose in the 37th minute, which proved to be a blessing in disguise. Though 'Tuffy' was moving excellently on and off the ball, Murray who came on for him was direct and offered some pace upfront. He was played through seconds after entering the game by Campbell but his quick snap shot went high and wide.

A well needed half-time break to an uneventful first half gave the managers time to ruffle the feathers of their teams.

Waterhouse FC was the first one to respond to their coach's instruction after the resumption. On the 54th minute, striker Murray was played through expertly by Campbell and he used his pace to his advantage, dipping in and out to shake off Harriot and then outfoxed goalkeeper Joel Johnson with stunning strike from his left boot to make it 1-0.

The goal brought the game to life. Harbour View started pressing a little harder to find the equalizer and Waterhouse looked to push further ahead.

Coach Ludlow Bernard shuffled the pack and made a few substitutions. The 'Stars Of The East' were looking threatening after the changes were made and Mark Miller ran clear of Theo Brown only to hit his cross over the unmarked Steven Barnett at the back post.

Waterhouse however drove another nail in Harbour View's coffin when a short corner caught the defenders napping which gave Murray time to bravely rise the highest at back post to head home a well weighted cross from Oshane Roberts. Murray hurt his shoulder on the play after colliding with both the Harbour View custodian and the post.

John-Ross Edwards seized on a loose Waterhouse pass to free Ranique Muir but the striker snatched at his effort and Diego Haughton saved easily, before Kemar Beckford's long-range shot for Waterhouse hit the side netting.

Waterhouse made Harbour View pay for wasting their chances, by taking theirs and dominating possession for the last 15 minutes. Despite failing to take advantage of a string of opportunities to add to the scoreline - including a late Leslie effort - Tate's men closed the match out with ease to grab their first win of the season.

Coach Marvin Tate : "We have been playing good football all season, we just weren't able to score our chances. We made a few changes in the formation and it paid off. It was a good team effort, Jermaine Anderson started it but was substituted unfortunately, Romario Campbell commanded the midfield, Theo Brown did a good job covering and goal keeper Haughton played an excellent game, keeping a clean sheet. We are happy we have the services of Forrest and English too".

Though remaining in the relegation zone, Waterhouse have now moved out of 12th position which has been taken over by Harbour View who are yet to collect a point, since the second match day of the season.