Jamaica College and St. George’s College into Manning Cup final

Printer-friendly versionSend by emailPDF version
Dominic James,Alex Marshall,St. Georges College,Jamaica College,Manning Cup,

Photo: St. Georges College midfielder Dominic James dribbles through a crowd of Jonathan Grant players. James scored the fourth goal as STGC ran out 4-1 winners to advance to the final where they will meet defending champions Jamaica College.

Defending champions Jamaica College, led by a brace from Donovan Dawkins turned back Denham Town 4-2, while St. George’s College, inspired by an Alex Marshall hat-trick eased pass Jonathan Grant 4-1 in the ISSA/Flow Manning Cup semifinals at Sabina Park on Saturday, to book their respective spots in the final.

Jamaica College who has struggled to create chances and have not been clinical in front of goal this season, looked a better unit on Saturday. It took only three minutes for the Boys from Hope Road to take the lead, doing so through their striker Dawkins who calmly found the back of the net. JC continued to dominate as Denham Town looked flat and out of sorts. Dawkins capitalized on the possession JC had and doubled the score and his tally in the 18th minute.

JC was looking dangerous and appeared to have found their shooting boots. Denham Town started to look better and pulled one back in the 22nd minute, when Patrick Edwards fired home from close range.

Jamaica College went to the break leading 2-1 and looked very much in charge of the contest despite the score line.

After the break JC continued to control the game and should have scored seconds after the restart but a Khori Edmond header at goal was very tame and goal keeper Brian Bennett saved easily. Edmond did get his header right in the 51st minute to give JC a two goals lead for the second time in the match. The game went dead after that as both teams gave away possession easily.

Denham Town cut the deficit to one goal for the second time late on, substitute Olando Brown found space inside to box and fired a shot low and hard passed Jahmali Waite in goal in minute 78th.

The game came alive again as the score line read 3-2 with just over ten minutes to play.

The Migiel Coley coached team did not panic although they were under pressure from the West Kingston school. Midfielder Jahvain Russell put the game to bed in the 90th minute, firing the ball into the back of the net after a rebound found him with plenty of time and space.

St. George’s College was off there mark quickly against Jonathan Grant in the second game. Alex Marshall dismantled the Spanish Town based school with his pace and skill early in the game.

Marshall and Shevon Stewart found it easy to get beyond their markers and it was Marshall who got around his marker to draw a penalty in the 10th minute. Aljay Higgins handled the ball on the ground in order to stop Marshall from getting a path to goal. Marshall then converted the penalty to make it 1-0.

Marshall doubled his tally in the 25th minute converting a second penalty after he was brought down just inside the 18 yard box. He then completed his hat-trick in the 36th minute, firing home a rebound after Christopher Wisdom in goal failed to hold onto the ball.

STGC was rather relaxed as Johnathan Grant just did not look near their best. George’s went to the break leading 3-0.

On the resumption, Jonathan Grant looked more organized and challenged the magisterial North Street based school. St. George’s College was keen on maintaining possession as they stroked the ball around the park. Jonathan Grant came alive and got a glimpse at the George’s goal on a couple of occasions

The JG supporters were enjoying the moment as they stood by their team right throughout the game.Jonathan Grant got a deserved conciliation goal in the 77th minute. Jeovanne Shorten's expertly taken free kick was brilliantly saved by Kyle Elliot but the ball went to substitute Mario Desouza who stayed compose to find the back of the net.

JG were still fighting and looked like they wanted more from the game with 13 minutes left but St. George’s remained in control and slammed the door shut with two minutes remaining.

Dominic James scored a good goal, dribbling from the center circle into the Jonathan Grant 18 yard box, blowing past one defender after another before rolling the ball past the advancing custodian in the 88th minute.

The finals will be played at the National Stadium on Saturday November where defending champions Jamaica College will take on St. George’s College in a second final of the season.