Connect with us


No ‘Bailey bounce’ for Waterhouse as they lose battle of cellar dwellers to Boys Town

Red Stripe Premier League,Waterhouse FC,Boys Town FC,Glendon Bailey,

Photo: Andrew Allen of Boys Town brings the ball under perfect control while under pressure from Nathaniel Leslie of Waterhouse during their Red Stripe Premier League game at Drewsland. Boys Town won 2-1 to avenge the 3-1 loss they suffered at the same venue earlier this season.




The expected new coach bounce failed to materialize for Waterhouse FC at their Mini-Stadium on Sunday, as visitors Boys Town FC snatched all three points from the home team, clipping them 2-1 to reverse the 3-1 result from the first round at the same venue.

It was Glendon “Admiral” Bailey’s first game in charge of the Drewsland based team since the sacking of Marvin Tate, following a string of bad results that saw the team slip to second from bottom in the tables. But the former Tivoli Gardens coach was unable to stop the rot as his new charges fell behind after only 15 minutes when Tevin Garnett scored from close range after a shambolic defending in the Waterhouse box.

The small group of spectators in the ground had something to cheer about when Andre McFarlane equalized six minutes before the interval as the teams went in level at the break.

The dismissal of Irvino English for Waterhouse and Wayne Ellis for Boys Town in the 54th minute meant the teams would play for more than a third of the game with 10 men.

Boys Town took advantage of the extra space on the field when Andrew Allen ran with the ball for almost a half of the field before firing pass a woeful out of place goalkeeper Rushane Patterson, into an empty net, to make it 2-1 in the 77th minute.

The win took Boys Town up to 10 points, one behind Waterhouse who have now taken just a single point from their last five games.

“It is a good tonic,” Andrew Price said of getting all three points. “I think this will prepare the team very well, it will really engender their confidence going forward. What we need to do is be a lot more consistent and see if we can go on a winning streak and continue to accumulate points. We haven’t been playing badly, but we haven’t gotten the result we desire, but I think today we really showed some character, we fought hard and we got three points.

“I used today to really assess the team…in a match situation to see what they can and cannot do,” said Bailey.

“I see the areas I really need to work on. They are making some fundamental mistakes and the fundamental mistakes are costing this team. We need to work on those mistakes, especially at the back,” he reasoned.

Elsewhere, leaders and defending champions Montego Bay United left it late to break the hearts of visitors Marverley/Hughenden when Johann Weatherley scored in the third minute of stoppage time to give his team a 1-0 win. Marverley had won this fixture at the same venue, on the opening day of the season and would have been happy to come away with another point from the long journey west.

Mobay was gaining their 10th win of the season from 14 games for a total of 31 points so far. Marverley are flirting with danger as they sit just outside the relegation zone on 13 points with only two wins to date.

Second placed UWI FC remained hot on the heels of the leaders with a stunning 4-1 win over Portmore United at the Spanish Town Prison Oval. After a scoreless first half, second half substitute Andrae Bernal came on to change the game, providing an assist for the first goal scored by Davion Garrison in the 61st minute before getting the second in the 72nd minute. It was a very composed finish from the lanky forward who curled home into the top left hand corner of the net.

Jerondy Henry made it 3-0 just six minutes later as the Mona based team threatened to run riot. The game was ended as a contest when Dawyne Smith made it 4-0 seven minutes from time, but the UWI team lost concentration and conceded a minute later when Javon East got the consolation for Portmore from close range.

UWI moved up to 29 points and remains two points behind the leaders while Portmore United who remain on 24 points, slipped one place to fourth spot.

The West Kingston derby between Tivoli Gardens and Arnett Gardens turned out to be a five goal thriller as hosts Tivoli edged the contest 3-2.

Arnett Gardens grabbed the early lead after only four minutes when the big Newton Sterling headed home a cross to stun the home crowd. But Tivoli has been on a good run recently and turned round the contest, when they scored three unanswered goals.

Mitchely Waul got the equalizer in the 27th minute and Barrington Price put the Omar Edwards coached team ahead four minutes later.

Jermaine Johnson built on his team’s half time lead when he made it 3-1 in the 58th minute, but Sterling made sure the final minutes of the game were interesting when he completed his brace in the 79th minute.

The win moved Tivoli up to third place on 26 points while Arnett, who were suffering their third loss in four games, remained in sixth place on 19 points.

The days other games, both ended in stalemates. Seventh place Reno (18 points) and eighth place Harbour View (16 points) played out a nil-all draw at the Frome Sports Complex while the Clarendon derby between Jamalco FC (14 points) and Humble Lion FC (22 points) also ended scoreless at the Wembley Centre of Excellence. Humble Lion remains 5th while Jamalco who has now picked up four points from their last two games, remains in 9th place.






Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Must See

More in Football