Connect with us


Waterhouse moves off RSPL basement with win over Humble Lion

Waterhouse FC,Humble Lion FC,Red Stripe Premier League,

Photo: Devon Hodges and Kemar Seivwright engage in an arial duel during the Red Stripe Premier League match between Waterhouse FC and Humble Lion FC at the Waterhouse Stadium on Sunday. Waterhouse came from behind to win 2-1 and put an end to their 2 game losing streak.



Waterhouse FC put an end to their two game losing streak with a come from behind 2-1 win over Humble Lion FC, who saw their three game win streak snapped at the Waterhouse Stadium on Sunday. Wolry Wolfe put the visitors ahead after just nine minutes, but Evan Taylor brought the home team level from the penalty spot before in the 21st minute before Oshane Roberts grabbed the second half winner to secure three vital points.

The win saw Waterhouse move up above Cavalier, if only temporarily, into 11th position while Humble Lion remain in third position after champions Arnett Gardens also lost on Sunday.

Waterhouse who welcomed back influential midfielder Romario ‘Rom Rom’ Campbell to the starting line-up, looked purposeful from the opening whistle. The former national player was the first to register a shot on target, Kadeem Davis getting down smartly at his near post to deny the former Reggae Boy from giving his team the lead with a neatly taken free kick.

But the visitors went up the other end and scored when Wolfe benefited from a knock down from a teammate inside the box and volleyed home from close range.

The Anthony Patrick coached team responded well to the setback and were on level terms when Taylor made no mistake from the spot firing the ball low to the keeper’s right after his teammate Gary McIntosh had been brought down inside the box by Linval Lewis.

Francois Swaby was denied by Richard McCallum when the keeper flung himself to the left to provide a diving save after a give and go between Swaby and his teammate Devon Hodges.

Shamari Dyer had a chance to give Waterhouse the lead but failed to get a touch to a beautifully delivered pass from Roberts.

Kemar Beckford also missed a chance to score when he was played in on goal by Dyer but he shot wide from close range as the game remained locked at 1-1.

McCallum came up big for his team again just before half time, diving to his left to pluck the ball out of the air from a goal bound free kick from Wolfe.

Levaughn Williams should have done better five minutes after the restart when he was played in on goal down the left channel but could only hit the side netting from seven yards out.

Both Waterhouse wing backs had shown good industry in the first half and it was the efforts of one that led to the goal by the other.

A good overlapping run by Dyer down the left saw him force his way into the box before getting off a shot that crashed against the crossbar and into the path of Sean Coleman who shot straight at Davis who then produced a brilliant block. But Roberts was there to follow up and steer the ball into the far corner of the net, to give Waterhouse the lead in the 54th minute.

Kenroy Howell should have added to the Waterhouse lead when an overlapping Nicholy Finlayson played a ball into his path inside the box but his shot was beautifully saved by Davis who pushed the ball for a corner.

Second half substitute, Kemiel Wolfe created a yard of space for himself on the edge of the area, before firing across goal but saw his show go just wide of the far post.

Jermaine Christian was denied by the width of the post when his deflected effort crashed against the left upright and back into play as Humble Lion came close to leveling on two occasions.

Waterhouse should have ended the game as a contest when Howell released Beckford down the right and the striker, who could have shot, unselfishly rolled the ball across the goal to an unmarked DeAndre Brown at the back post. Brown’s lunging effort however failed to make contact with the ball.

“I said to the players that we would have to work hard, we would have to dig deep and we would have to be disciplined in our approach towards the game and try and concentrate for ninety minutes. We really played well today and I am happy with the teams performance,” said Anthony Patrick

“We are looking to get a five game win streak together and put ourselves in the top four or top five from there on and build on that in the second round,” he concluded.

“I am disappointed. We got the go ahead goal but we didn’t press home our advantage,” said Lynval Wilson.

Clearly disappointed with the penalty decision, Wilson said:

 “It is the referee that is in charge but I don’t agree with the penalty decision. It looked a little bit suspect to me and it brought back Waterhouse into the game. We played excellent in the second half we just needed to capitalize on some of the chances we created.

“Hats off to the Waterhouse team, they came out in the second half and looked more purposeful. We just need to go back and refocus for the second round,” he stated.

In other games, a second half hat-trick from Girvon Brown steered the UWI to a massive 5-2 win over 10-man Tivoli Gardens and moved them out of the relegation zone for the first time this season.

Boys Town continued their steady climb up the table with a 2-0 win over FC Reno and now sits a healthy 5th in the standings, following three wins in their last four games.

Portmore United clipped champions Arnett Gardens 1-0 courtesy of a Jovan East goal in the first half to remain second while leaders Montego Bay United whipped hosts Rivoli United 3-0 to remain three points clear at the top with 24.

Sixth place Harbour View will travel to bottom of the table Cavalier for the final Monday Night fixture of the round.







Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Must See

More in Football