Connect with us


Harbour View helps to bumps Waterhouse from RSPL summit

Red Stripe Premier League,Harbour View,Waterhouse,

Photo: Damion Harwood gets a fist full of the shirt of Tremaine Stewart in the Red Stripe Premier League top four clash between Harbour View and Waterhouse at the Harbour View Mini-Stadium on Sunday night. Harbour View won the game 2-0.

Before a ball was kicked in anger in the Red Stripe Premier League match between former champions Harbour View and Waterhouse at the Harbour View Mini-Stadium on Sunday, the Drewsland based team had been usurped at the summit of the league by defending champions Montego Bay United who had clipped Cavalier SC in an earlier game.

That second place was then confirmed when Harbour View delivered a very efficient performance to inflict their second defeat of the season on the Anthony Patrick coached team. Two first half strikes from captain Nicholas Beckett and Jermie Lynch was enough to hand all three points to the Andrew Hines coached team.

The encounter promised much even before kick-off as fourth place hosted first and with just three minutes on the clock the visitors came close when Romario ‘Rom Rom’ Campbell curled a free kick inches wide of the post from the edge of the area.

Two minutes later Waterhouse goalkeeper Richard McCallum was quick off his line to grab the ball off the top of the head of Damion Harwood following a good cross from Lynch.

Next it was the turn of Nicholy Finlayson to have a go from distance after he received a chest pass from Jermaine Anderson, but his shot was always going high and failed to trouble Levor Williams in the Harbour View goal.

Then with nine minutes on the clock, Beckett struck for Harbour View, when he curled a beautiful free kick from 23 yards, into the top right hand corner of McCallum’s goal, leaving the former Jamaica keeper rooted to the spot. It was a stunning free kick that had the crowd buzzing.

Waterhouse came running at Harbour View and Williams did well to tip a Juvaune Benjamin pile driver unto the crossbar before recovering to block a fierce shot from Anderson from close range. It was a fantastic double save from the keeper although the Anderson effort would not have counted as the big striker was ruled offside.
The game continued to be played at a fast pace and Williams pulled off another fine save, diving to his left to push a shot from Hughan Gray around the post.

Then on minute 22 Harbour View doubled their lead when Damarley Oliver, who was celebrating his birthday, charged down the right side before whipping in a dangerous cross that McCallum failed to hold. Lynch proved to be ‘Johnny on the spot’ and poked home past the red-faced custodian before breaking out into the latest dance with his teammates, in celebration.

The rest of the second half was all Waterhouse as they attacked in waves but the hosts were content to remain behind the ball and block the efforts of their opponents.

Harbour View just missed the chance to add to their lead two minutes after the restart when McCallum produced a fantastic reflex save to deny John-Ross Edwards who had been neatly played in by Lynch.

Williams then denied Benjamin again from distance before a sliced effort from Beckett went wide of the goal as the teams traded efforts.

A repeat of the first half was then played out as the home team dropped behind the ball putting up a defensive wall that the visitors were unable to breakdown despite creating a few chances that Benjamin and Anderson were unable to convert.

Hines was pleased with the overall performance of his team and happy to claim the scalp of Waterhouse yet again.
“We were fortunate today, the ball rolled our way. They had their moments and we had our moments. Fortunately for us, we made our moments count and then we defended when we had to defend.

“We came for three points today. We have to take three points off all the teams above us in order to cut the gap at the top.”

Marcel Gayle, the assistant coach for Waterhouse tried to take the positives from the game.

“It was a tough loss today but I have to give my team credit for continuing to fight even when we were down 2-nil and missing chances.

“We dominated but didn’t put away our chances and that cost us the game. We will just have to keep working and improve our finishing.”

The win for Harbour View brings them up to 26 points, level with third placed Arnett Gardens who host Reno tonight at the Anthony Spaulding Sports Complex. While Mobay United on 29 now leads Waterhouse by one.

In other games played on Sunday, the battle of the cellar dwellers ended in a 1-1 stalemate, with both teams moving up to 12 points, one behind 10th place Barbican who was beaten 2-0 at home by Sporting Central.

The struggle continues for Tivoli Gardens as they were thumped 3-0 by Rivoli United who move up to 5th place ahead of another struggling team in Cavalier who just cannot find a way to goal.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Must See

More in Football