Connect with us


Wasteful Camperdown draw with Innswood while Hydel thrash Denham Town

ISSA/FLOW Manning Cup,Hydel,Innswood,Denham Town,Camperdown,

Photo: Hydel striker Stephen Barnett goes high to head clear in his school’s 3-0 win over Denham Town High in the ISSA/FLOW Manning Cup on Tuesday at the Prison Oval.



Former Manning Cup champions Camperdown High School was held to a 1-1 draw by Innswood High while Hydel High thrashed Denham Town 3-0 on Tuesday as second round action began in Group I of the ISSA/FLOW Manning Cup.

Innswood took the lead in the first half when Sanjai Nelson scored in the 31st minute but saw the advantage wiped away through an own goal just four minutes into the second half.

Camperdown only had themself to blame as Kevin Clarke and Andre Mc Catty were particularly wasteful in front of goal in a half where they could have scored at least six times. Mc Catty even missed a chance from four yards after coming on as a substitute in the second half.

“It is a thing that has ruined us all season, we have been getting chances and not taking our chances. As you saw in the second half we got a lot of chances and never made use of them. We have to come back and do our best because we have two more games to play,” said Camperdown assistant coach Stanford Patrick.

“It was a hard game. Any team could win although we scored the two goals. We had some patches that we played in and out. The next time we play we should play a better game and we have some injuries and we hope to have those players back for the next game,” said a beligerent Anthony Thompson, head coach of Innswood High.

In the day’s second game, Hydel took care of Denham Town with consummate ease as goalkeeping errors aided their 3-0 win.

Hydel was on the attack from the opening whistle and almost took the lead in the 4th minute but a header from Stephen Barnett landed on top of the crossbar and went behind for a goal kick.

Two minutes later Denham Town was not so lucky, as a spill by their custodian Brian Bennett at the feet of Nicholas Nelson saw them fall behind as the striker gleefully accepted the gift to slot home making it 1-0.

Hydel remained in control of the encounter and got their second in the 29th minute when Barnett was able to follow up the rebound from his own missed penalty to fire home.

Denham Town should have pulled one back when Orlando Brown got away from his marker but his attempt at a lob was high and wide of the target.

The West Kingston based school had a similar chance later on but a poor connection on the volley by Tarrique Campbell saw his sliced effort go wide of the upright.

A minute before the interval Hydel completed the scoring in the game. A through pass from Brad Tulley to Rohnako Allen down the left channel was floated to the back post but Bennett dropped the ball at the feet of Nelson for a second time and the striker punished him yet again when he found the back of the net to complete his brace.

The win takes Hydel to the top of the group as they were the only winners on the day.


Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Must See

More in Football