Holy Trinity Turn Back Clarendon College in LIME Super Cup

Printer-friendly versionSend by emailPDF version

The inaugural ISSA/Lime Super Cup competition began on Saturday at Sabina Park featuring two Kingston based teams against the two based Clarendon teams. Sabina Park welcomed football again after a very long time on a wonderful playing surface.

The venue had fans in as early as 2:00 p.m. for a match was schedule for a 3:00 p.m. kick-off. At 2:30 p.m. the North Stand had about two thousand people seated for the double header to take place at the venue. Lime, Pepsi and Gatorade the sponsors of the Super Cup had bags with several of their products for giveaways before the start of the games and during the half time intervals.

Sabina Park was full of noise when Holy Trinity and Clarendon players took the field as the fans blew their horns.

Clarendon College started out with a very ambitious effort on goal after earning a free kick thirty seven 35 yards out. Clarendon College took control of the game and was getting passes together and their fans loved it as they rose to their feet.

When Holy Trinity finally get their first corner-kick of the game and it was negotiated well by the Clarendon College defense.

Clarendon College won a free kick in a good position 25 yards out and made use of it when Seigel Knight placed it beyond Antonio Millington in goal, to give CC the lead in the 36th minute.

Clarendon had a chance to put Holy Trinity further behind when Cavane Bryan mishit his shot 10 yards from goal. Just before the half time interval Clarendon got another free kick from 22 yards but it was straight to the Holy Trinity custodian.

Holy Trinity's best chance came in first half stoppage time when Chevon Bryan received a ball in the box but Donald Francis in goal stood firm and made a good save. Holy Trinity was not done yet. Shortly after, Jordon Foot dismissed his marker and played a dangerous ball into the CC box which found the boot of Jevon Fuller who also was denied by goal keeper Francis.

Immediately after the restart, Holy Trinity won a free kick 20 yards out but wasted it, kicking the ball miles over the cross bar. Holy Trinity did look the better team in the second period but failed to make use of their early opportunities.

Holy Trinity, located just across the road from Sabina Park had the advantage of turning out lots of fans who urged the players on.

Clarendon came out flat in the second half and Holy Trinity tested the Clarendon defense who did not look so comfortable dealing with the pace of their opponents.

With the pressure mounting, the Holy Trinity goal came in the 73rd minute, when Shamar Smith converted a loose ball in the Clarendon box to level the score at 1-1. It got worse for the Clarendon College in the 87th minute when Andrew Gutzmore saw his second yellow card for throwing his elbow in a Holy Trinity player's face.

The CC fans did not like the decision by the referee and was criticizing him heavily.

With extra time in site, Clarendon had to pass their first hurdle, which was to play five minute of stoppage time with 10 players.

The first 10 minutes of extra time was a mid-field battle and neither of the teams created any scoring opportunity.

Second half had one real scoring chance and it fell to the foot of Jevon Fuller 15 yards out, but the player failed to make proper contact with the ball.

It was time for penalties. Clarendon went first and scored, Knight placing the ball to the right and it went in off the post. Smith took the first one for Holy Trinity and kicked it straight at Francis who saved to give Clarendon the advantage early. Cavane Bryan put Holy Trinity under-pressure when he converted to make it 2-0 to Clarendon.

Tevin Rochester handled the pressure well an tucked his penalty away to make it 2-1.Javaan Johnson hit the cross bar for Clarendon and Holy trinity were back in the game when Jabari Howell placed his kick to the right hand corner to level the kicks at 2-2.

Clarendon's Malik Palmer shot straight at custodian Millington who saved to give Holy Trinity an advantage and Fuller made no mistake when he placed his kick to the right to give Holy trinity the lead for the first time at 3-2.

On Clarendon's fourth kick, Millington who had been brilliant in goal, denied Roger Russell to be the hero for the shoot-out and sent Holy Trinity in the next round.

Devon Anderson head coach of Holy Trinity said "Nobody expected us to win, we came in here with a game plan and executed. We never planned for the penalties but it was a brave effort from the guys, a never say die attitude. Now we will regroup and come again for the next round."