Clarendon College, Wolmer's and St.George's College win at Sabina Park in the Flow Super Cup

Printer-friendly versionSend by emailPDF version
ISSA/FLOW Super Cup,St. Georges College,Clarendon College,Wolmers,

File photo: Gregory Messam Jr scored a brace in the St. Georges College 5-0 romp over Petersfield in the ISSA/FLOW Super Cup on Saturday.

Clarendon College came from behind to edge Hydel 2-1 in extra time, Wolmer’s beat Port Antonio 3-1, while St. Georges college blanked Petersfield 5-0 at Sabina Park, all on the first day of the second exciting season of the ISSA/FLOW Super Cup football competition.

Sabina Park was a very exciting venue from about 1pm Saturday, October 24, 2015. Last year's Dacosta Cup champions, Clarendon College took on Hydel in the first match at Sabina Park and came from behind late, to defeat the Geoffrey Maxwell coach Hydel team 2-1 in extra time. Hydel could have easily went to the half time break with a three goal advantage but did not capitalize on their chances and instead went to the break with a one goal advantage through striker Nickolas Nelson.

Clarendon College, who was flat for most of the second half, scored to tie the game nine minutes from time when substitute Joel Sterling pounced a loose ball in the Hydel box to send the game into extra time.

Clarendon College supporters was all on their feet cheering as the May Pen team came alive and Joel Sterling got his second goal of the game, running behind the Hydel defenders and past the advancing Hydel custodian to give his team the lead in minute 113th.

It was a big celebration from coach and technical director of Clarendon College Paul “Tegat” Davis and Lenny “Teacha” Hyde as they advanced to the quarterfinals with the win.

Wolmer’s who played against a relatively weak Port Antonio team did not have much to do as they were very comfortable with the ball and Port Antonio just did not cause the Reynold Vassell coached team any problems.

Wolmers’s did strike early when they were given a penalty in the second minute, when Rojay Smith was brought down in the box. Smith then converted the penalty to give Wolmer’s the lead.

Wolmer’s doubled their advantage in the 11th minute when Yachinn Banfield hung up a beautiful corner kick from the left side and it was met by the very firm head of Jahwahni Hinds.

Wolmer’s went to the break leading 2-0 with not much action aside from the two goals.

The second half was controlled by Wolmer’s with Port Antonio just tracking the players and not really putting the Wolmer’s players under any real pressure.Wolmer’s went 3-0 up mid-way the second half, when man of the match Rojay Smith played magical ball to Rivaldo English who had only Lavain Brissett in goal to beat and he held his composure to fire the ball in the back of the net.

Port Antonio did have a consolation when they were awarded a free kick just at the top of the 18 yard box and it was buried to leave the score at 3-1 in the 85th minute. The game ended with that scoreline and the win meant that Wolmer’s advance to the quarterfinal stage.

In the feature game, St. George’s College found the going very easy against the Westmoreland based school Petersfield. Alex Marshall got the North Streets boys going when he intelligently dribbled into the Peterfield box with his right foot and then turned onto his left to fire a very hard and low shot into the goal that gave the Peterfields custodian no chance.

The very skillful Shevon Stewart then doubled the light blues advantage midway the half, firing a weak shot at goal that went straight to the goalkeeper who failed to hold the ball and it went in the net.

The half ended with the Neville Bell coach team leading 2-0 who were enjoying the game and were patient in their building up plays.The magical Gregory Messam Jr caused two Petersfields defender to collide, then released a beautiful pass to Stewart who held his composure to fire home from close range to get his second of the game.

Marshall and Stewart were running at the defenders who found it hard to contain the two. Stewart, Marshall and Messam Jr then linked up making some very slick passes around the Peterfield box to give Messam Jr a sight on goal that he fired pass the Perterfield custodian.

Messam Jr then doubled his tally after receiving a brilliant pass that was played behind the defence to make it 5-0.