Boys Town bounce continues as Waterhouse hits rock bottom

Printer-friendly versionSend by emailPDF version
Shamar Nicholson,Boys Town,Waterhouse FC, Andrew Price,Anthony Patrick,

Photo: Boys Town goal scorer Shamar Nicholson shows off the team crest on a day when the club celebrated their 75th anniversary. Nicholson's 3rd minute strike was enough to secure all the points for Boys Town who moved up to 8th place on 12 points.



On a day when they celebrated their 75th Anniversary, Boys Town also celebrated their first back to back wins for the Red Stripe Premier League season, when they clipped hosts Waterhouse FC 1-0 at the Drewsland Stadium on Sunday.

A third minute strike from young Shamar Nicholson was enough to secure all three points for the Red Brigade as they moved up to 8th place in the standings while their opponents fell to last place, a huge fall from grace for a team that made the final four last season.

Waterhouse has undergone quite a number of changes in recent times and the latest change, at the heart of their defence, contributed to the narrow loss to Boys Town. Kemar Seivwright was brought in to replace regular started Rohan Amos and his poor clearance led to the opportunity for Nicholson who fired home from close range to stun the home crowd.

The expected response from the home team was slow in coming as they struggled to possess the ball in midfield and it took them all of 12 minutes to muster their first effort of the match, a shot well wide of the target from Kenroy Howell.

Shannon Barclay had to be alert in goal for Waterhouse when Michael Campbell curled in a corner kick from the left side that as headed straight for the roof of the net. He managed to tip the ball over for a second corner kick for the visitors.

Shortly after Barclay was called into action again when Nicholson provided a delicate layoff for strike partner Rafiek Thomas and the curling effort from the veteran was headed for the top left corner of the goal before the keeper plucked it out of the air.

It was all Boys Town as the silent home supporters looked on in amazement.

Former Reggae Boy, Nicholy Finlayson, delivered a telling cross from the right flank after recovering the ball from a set play but Seivwright was unable to atone for his earlier error as his flashing header went wide of the right upright.

Evan Taylor tried to get control of the midfield for Waterhouse but was clearly missing his usual partner in Romario Campbell who was not even on the bench. Meanwhile Peter Keys, Garfield Gillespie and Michael Campbell took control for Boys Town as they looked to double their advantage.

Waterhouse main striker Jermaine “Tuffy” Anderson was reduced to a mere spectator as he was effectively marked by the robust Carlos Wright, who himself had to leave the field for medical treatment after getting into a scrap with Anderson.

Boys Town went in 1-0 at half time and in total control of the game despite being the away team.

Waterhouse failed to spark to life in the second half, forcing Anthony Patrick to ring the changes in the hopes of getting a goal back.

They did create a few half chances late in the game, but luck eluded them even when it seemed they must score.

Anthony Patrick believes it is just a matter of time before Waterhouse start heading in the right direction in the tables, “We still creating chances and we still not finishing. We made some simple mistakes in front of goal today. When you make mistakes like that and you cannot score teams will get a one goal against us and when they get that goal its very, very difficult to get back.

“We just want to start hitting the back of the net and once we start hitting the back of the net I think we will get it right,” Patrick assured.

For winning coach Andrew Price it was just reward for a professional performance from his unit.

“It wasn’t the best performance but I think we stood out there and fought well. We really gave as good as we got. It’s about going out there and showing some character and I believe this team is much better than where they are placed in the competition. We want winning to become contagious so we want to continue going out there and playing hard.”

The win moved Boys Town up to 12 points, one behind Harbour View, Reno and Arnett Gardens who has a game in hand. Meanwhile Waterhouse who have now lost two on the trot and three of their last four games sit bottom of the table on 7 points.